Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I am, apparently, the 1%

I am the 1%.
I am seventeen years old.
My parents, while not wealthy, make enough money to help me and my brother through college.
I will almost certainly finish my undergrad without any student loans.
I have a job making $9.50/hour so that I can put money away in savings while I'm on a scholarship and my parents are paying my living expenses.
I am majoring in something I love that also happens to be marketable.
I plan on eventually moving to China, Taiwan, or Singapore.
I know how to manage my finances and will stay out of debt as much as possible.
I am the 1%.


This is inspired from the Occupy Wall Street movement, the whole "we are the 99%" thing. At first glance, it seems like a bunch of anarchist hippies complaining about the establishment and using it as an excuse to gather together and have sex and do drugs. After some more extensive research, I came to a few conclusions:
1. Half the people at these "protests" (I use the term loosely) don't even know what it is they are supposedly protesting.
2. Their definition of the 99% is...interesting, and I doubt half the population falls into that category.
3. I still don't understand exactly what they want to happen as a result of these "occupy" thingies. Do they want more government or less? Do they want government to pay

I found this site, which brought it down to a more personal level. The common thread that jumped out at me was debt, mostly from student loans. Though the stories are sad, most of the crises could have been averted (or at least ameliorated) just by not getting into so much debt. Others, I just don't understand. If you graduate with $50,000 in student loans and a degree you term "useless," where on earth did you go to college? Where do you live, if rent's $950 a month--and you live alone? If you're a college graduate, how are you making less money than me? It's just sad.

According to Wikipedia, the poverty rate in America is 15.1%. Not 99%. Although I definitely agree that there's income disparity in the US, it could be a whole lot worse. There's not a clear demarcation between the rich and poor. The 99% aren't starving in the streets while the 1% rides by on their diamond encrusted animatronic elephant. Even those who are actually living in poverty are better off than many people in third world countries (I know it's a cop-out argument, but it's true. Look at the standard of living in almost any African or Southeast Asian country, and count your blessings.) and don't really have any basis to complaint.

Here's my advice for the rising generation, especially those heading into college who don't want to end up like the occupyers:

  • Stay out of debt. Don't attend a college where you'll have to go into absurd amounts of debt, even if you think it's a "world-class" education. If you make an effort, you can have an excellent education wherever you are. Credit card debt is a problem too. My philosophy: If you don't have the money, don't buy it. You can wait. 
  • Start saving. You never know what's going to happen to you or your family. Even if you feel like you'd need a gap year after high school to just work, take it. It's so much better to have that security. You sleep better at night when you have money in the bank. 
  • Live cheaply. This doesn't mean a lower quality of life, it just means prioritizing and finding out what things are necessary. Do you really need certain things? I've found that there's a lot I can live without, like name brand products. The generic is almost always just as good. Snacks suck away income too--keep track of what you eat. Simplify and organize. If you can't afford the standard of living wherever you are, then move. 
  • Don't be afraid to work crappy jobs. Whether it's flipping burgers, bagging groceries, or working in a call center, a job is a job. You might think it's below your dignity to work below a certain pay range or in certain occupations. All that will do is limit you and hinder your chances of being gainfully employed. 
  • Make yourself unique. There are thousands of people who will no doubt hold the exact same degree as you. Build yourself a specialized skill set that will set you off from everyone else. Whether it's a foreign language, leadership experience, service, or a minor, be different.
I'm not even sure what the point of this is. I really just feel like an old person and want to give my sage advice to the young'uns. And I think this is decent advice. You don't need to depend on the government. It's not their fault if bad things happen to you (except taxes. But if you're complaining about paying 40% of your income to taxes, what about those in higher brackets who pay much more? You want them to pay more taxes?), so don't blame them. 

Basically, I don't agree with OWS. Or Occupy Salt Lake. Or Occupy Provo. While our government's system definitely has flaws, there are better ways to effect change. Like voting, for example. If the so-called 99% actually want change, they can in theory make anything happen they want.

But they won't, because they don't agree on anything except that life sucks and they want someone else to do something about it.

I'm sick. Signing off now.
Amore.

3 comments:

  1. Yes! Thanks for this. I've been doing a little research into OWS for a while and I'm totally with you on this one. But you put it very eloquently! This is a pretty great site too: http://the53.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The 99%" refers to the least 99% wealthy Americans who own only 60% of the nation's wealth.
    Sorry Miranda--I wish I were the 1% too :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. the reality is although you and your parents are in the middle class that you are not in the 1%, the argument is that inequality has been growing between the rich and the poor (seen here, look at the GINI equality graph for post WW2,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gini_coefficient) now the reason that this inequality is tolerated is best put perhaps in atlas shrugged when it was stated that all men possess the ability to be rich, or that you could be in that one percent,
    HOWEVER this is starting to not be the case, and that is what OWS is about (seen here, http://www.parliament.uk/ImageVault/Images/storage_Edited/filename_pbtpGI4b5xz3YKGxgsqe.jpg/id_6167/ImageVaultHandler.aspx)
    this disparity between the rich and poor is great if and only if the poor are capable of becoming rich and vice versa which although still the case if trend lines hold will not be in the near future, that is the heart and soul of OWS the rich stay rich, the poor stay poor and government won't do anything about it, every other stance is superficial,
    there is my two cents

    ReplyDelete