Monday, January 9, 2012

I should really be doing my Chinese homework right now.

"Use boldness, but not overbearance; and also see that ye bridle all your passions, that ye may be filled with love"--Alma 38:12


I read this earlier today, and what really struck me was "bridle all your passions." To me, that conjures up an image of a horse (bridle is a thing you put on horses, right?) fighting to have its own way. Passion is a good thing, but only if you keep it in check. All emotions are good in their own way, but being carried away is not.


If I do nothing else right this year, I need to remember not to get swept away by feelings. I seem to alternate between trying to have no emotions and completely giving in to them, and neither is healthy. What I need to do is use passion, not be a victim. I need to ride the horse instead of being dragged around behind. 


So I guess this is kind of my New Year's resolution. It's okay to have infatuations as long as they don't take over my life. It's okay to be sad as long as I do other things besides crying in my closet. It's okay to be happy as long as I keep my feet on the ground. 


Oh, also, it's now been over a year since I started this blog. Time flies, eh?



No comments:

Post a Comment