Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Validation and stuff

Dear kind man at the bus stop,

Thank you for telling me that I look like Julie Andrews, and that short hair is my trademark. Thank you for helping me remember why I chose my major. Thank you for telling me that I look very British. Thank you for saying that I am a lady and should always be treated like one. Thank you for telling me that I'm beautiful and charismatic. Thank you for brightening up my day with your kind words. Thank you for restoring my faith in humanity.

Thank you for validating.

--

Prayer works. God knows what we need, and He uses other people to help us sometimes. In my confusion, loneliness, and apathy this past week, this encounter tonight at the bus stop was exactly what I needed. It's different hearing things from strangers, because I paradoxically trust them more when it comes to their opinions of me. My friends and family are nice because they feel obligated to (at least in my mind), so strangers' insights are sometimes more valuable to me.

Anyway. Watch this, if you haven't already. It's beautiful and makes me cry (but then again, what doesn't make me cry?).

No comments:

Post a Comment