I'm falling in love with another language. Shh, nobody tell Chinese that I'm cheating on it. French is just so romantic! After taking a year of French in junior high, I pretty much left it behind...and then I met Chinese. Chinese was exotic, challenging, and I was head over heels before I could think. French was the ex that I didn't want to distract me from my new relationship. I banished it from my mind, forgetting endless lists of verb conjugations, grammar patterns, and vocabulary.
My uncle and his family live in France; they came to California for Christmas this year. In the time I was able to spend with them last week, I realized three things.
1) I am extremely jealous of people who are multilingual.
2) French is a beautiful language.
3) I want to go to France.
And thus, I'm trying to re-learn everything I've forgotten--and more.
Foreign languages and I get along very well (except Russian, I don't think it likes me). Even when I can't translate word for word, I understand the gist behind what's being said. Sometimes it's as though there's a current below all languages that I can tap into and comprehend regardless of language.
Drat, I promised myself not to write nonsense late at night anymore... Oh well. I'm posting this anyway.
Je vous aime!
I long for the day when a man approaches me and says, "you are beautiful no matter what you wear. I have served a mission and know for myself the church is true. I play the piano and guitar, and will happily serenade you in English or french; I'm fluent in both. Marry me?"
ReplyDeleteHmm. :) -insert smug look here-
ReplyDeleteLook who finally joined the bandwagon.
French is da bomb! :D
We should speak it together! Except, not writing it because I cannot write in French to save my life.
漢語,閩南,Filipino, Engrish. >:)
ReplyDeleteYES! I can't wait for our trip to France where we can meet Hugo's girlfriend and stalk her in real life. (:
ReplyDelete