Monday, May 23, 2011

I have a mild obsession with music in other languages.

It's all in the title. On my iPod, I currently have music in Italian, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese. This is only a start, of course. There's something about foreign languages that makes music even more beautiful. I can listen to pop, and even rap--as long as it's not in English. I think one of the biggest reasons for this is that I don't easily understand stupid or insipid lyrics as I do in English, so it doesn't bother me.

Even though I don't understand exactly what is being sung, I understand more than I think I should. Music is one of the most universal languages I know (forget about love) and it really shows in this case. Intent comes across more clearly than individual words. This is also the reason I love classical/instrumental music so much--it tells a story without any words at all.

Music touches a special place in my heart, possibly because I've been marinating in it all my life. Although I can break it down and analyze different elements (key signature, beats, instrumental layers, chord progressions, etc.) I haven't lost the ability to simply enjoy good music.

Regardless of whether I understand it or not.

If only people were as simple...

1 comment:

  1. I love music.
    You're awesome.
    Foreign languages rock.
    THat's all for now. :)

    ReplyDelete