Last Thursday, when I was in Salt Lake, I lost track of how many people asked me for money outright or just had signs voicing their pleas. It is so easy to say that it's their own fault, that they could get a job if they really worked for it, and that they therefore don't deserve my help. Mosiah 4:17: "The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand." It's something I hear at home on occasion.
But why does it matter? Who am I to judge another human's situation in the 30 seconds I see them on the street? Who would it hurt if I gave someone who was lying about their circumstances a couple dollars? I would so much rather give too much than be held accountable for not helping others.
My heart truly goes out to the less fortunate. I know that many people on the streets suffer from debilitating mental illness or addiction. They honestly can't help themselves. I feel sick when I come home and contemplate the gross excess of stuff I have. I have so much, but I don't know what to do with it--I have some psychological need for it.
But really, I need to make a difference.
For behold, are we not all beggars?
Deep thoughts.
ReplyDeleteI always love reading your stuff.
=)
爱你!