Saturday, June 11, 2011

Funerals are actually quite cool.

I know it's weird, but I really enjoy funerals. Especially in my family, it's a way for me to get to know relatives a whole lot better than I did when they were alive. Again, I know this sounds extremely weird and/or morbid.

But today, I went to my great-uncle Birch's funeral. The only memories I really had of him were when I visited my grandma (who lived right next to her sister and brother-in-law). My brother and I would pick up these pods from my aunt and uncle's yard. Uncle Birch let us ride around on his tractor, taught us how to fish and shoot BB guns, etc. Even though I don't have too many concrete memories of those times (I was pretty young), I remember the peace I felt when I was with Uncle Birch. He radiated a quiet strength that's stayed with me for years.

Hearing about his life was absolutely inspirational. All the stories of his hard work and integrity, and just plain kindness, made me want to be a better person. He served in so many capacities, in the Church and otherwise, and touched so many lives for the better. I wish I had been able to know him better in this life, but death isn't the end.

That's my favorite part of LDS funerals: we don't have to be completely overcome by grief, because there is comfort in faith. Of course it's sad when friends and family leave us, but they truly are in a better place. Most especially when they've had severe health problems--death is a release from pain. We will be together again, and I find comfort in that.

Funerals: uplifting. I'm grateful for the opportunity to have family with such amazing lives and the legacy that they leave.

1 comment: